May 2, 2023
Don’t forget! Staff Appreciation Week: Dress Like Your Teacher, Bring a Flower
Whittier PTA’s Staff Appreciation Week continues! We’ve already gotten ready for take-off with a coffee cart and today’s inflight snack service. Tomorrow’s festivities will include a catered lunch provided by Barking Dog.
How can you join in on the celebration? Show your Wildcat Staff appreciation by:
- Dress Like Any Staff Member: We’re asking our Wildcats to dress like any staff member on Thursday! Grab glasses, make a name badge, carry a special pencil–whatever reminds you of your amazing Wildcat staff!
- Bring a Flower: For our final day of Staff Appreciation week, we’re asking all students bring a special delivery (flower(s)) for their teacher. Whether it’s a garden cutting or purchased flower, the PTA will help collate the flowers into vases to celebrate our staff. Bring it with you at drop-off where PTA volunteers will collect them for delivery.
Spring Fling Class Art Preview – May 5th!
The PTA’s First Friday Fun event for May is a special Spring Fling Class Art Preview! Come see each room’s collaborative art piece on display for the FIRST and ONLY time before the big auction! Join us on the blacktop after school on Friday, May 5th, from 2:25 – 2:45pm. Please plan to greet your Wildcats at your usual pick up locations before returning to the covered area. You won’t want to miss seeing the art in person!
Have you bought your Spring Fling tickets? Help your class reach 100% participation! Buy your ticket (and make sure other class parents have, too)!
Save the Date and Sneak Peek: This Year’s Hosted Parties
One of Spring Fling’s most loved traditions is selling tickets to our community’s Hosted Parties. These events, hosted by Whittier community members, have limited tickets available and can only be purchased by participating in our Spring Fling Silent Auction! Here’s a sneak peek of some of this year’s Hosted Party catalog:
- Sunday, June 4th (5:00-7:00pm): Sip & Shop 15% off @ Evereve (University Village) – Add to Your Calendar
- Thursday, June 6th: 4th Grade Moms Happy Hour – Add to Your Calendar
- Thursday, June 15th (5:30-6:30pm): barre3 in Whittier Gym – Add to Your Calendar
- Saturday, June 17th: Family Tide Pooling – Add to Your Calendar
- Saturday, July 15th (4:00pm): Taste of Chicago – Add to Your Calendar
- Saturday, July 22nd: Wagyu and Whiskey Party – Add to Your Calendar
- Saturday, July 22nd: Spirits Tasting at the Austins – Add to Your Calendar
- Saturday, September 23rd – European Feast – Add to Your Calendar
*Please note dates could shift due to, you know, life stuff and capacities are limited for many of these events!
Psst–It’s not too late to host a party yourself! Parties of all kinds and sizes are welcome! Sign up today!
What Else Happens at Spring Fling?
This year we are striving to have items available to purchase at a wide variety of price points. In addition to all of our classroom buckets, art and the myriad of silent packages, there will be a Wine Wall and Golden Ticket opportunity.
And, of course, this year’s event is also a celebration! Expect music, tasty beverages, food trucks, and more.
So remember to preview one-of-a-kind Class Art on Friday, sign-up to host a party for Whittier, or help with your Classroom Bucket (if you haven’t already)! All Spring Fling proceeds support the Whittier PTA’s funding for essential staff and services at Whittier! Go Wildcats!
Sign Up: Trivia Night – May 18th, Whittier Library!
JOIN US FOR A STUDENT-LED TRIVIA NIGHT & help raise funds for a SPECIAL playground project!
An amazing group of 4th graders is hosting a trivia competition on MAY 18th, from 6 – 7:30pm, in the Whittier Library. All are welcome!
This 4th grade leadership team is raising funds for supplies to repaint the four square and basketball areas, touch up the hopscotch and US map, and even add a world map to the blacktop!
Trivia Night Details:
- An adult must register their team on our Sign Up Genius and be available to supervise their team on game night. Additional family members are welcome to watch.
- Teams can be a max of 6 players, and made up of any combination of ages – kids and adults. Questions will vary to include all levels.
- Suggested donation – $5 per person. A donation box will be available on game night, however no fee is required to play or attend.
- There is only enough room for 8 teams, so register soon! Once you reserve your team spot, we will be in contact for more information.
There are a few volunteer positions available, too, if you’d like to help! Sign up! Email Emily Grosse or Cindy for more information!
Emily Grosse (parent project coordinator) AND the 4th Grade Playground Team: Ada, Greta, Sydney and Zoe
Drag Queen Story Time with Aleksa Manila!
Thursday, June 22nd (6-7:30PM)
Come join us for a special story time on Thursday June 22nd at 6pm. Popular Seattle drag queen, Aleksa Manila will be stopping by Whittier to spend an evening with us to read stories and have some fun! Drag Queen story time is all about love, acceptance, inclusion and gives kids glamorous, positive, and unabashedly queer role models! During story times like this one, kids will be able to see people who defy rigid gender restrictions and imagine a world where everyone can be their authentic selves! Come join in the fun!
PNW Parent Ed Presents, “Building Your Child’s Superpower of Stress Resilience”
We know that children and adolescents are reporting higher and higher levels of stress. We are partnering with PNW Parent Education (www.pnwparented.org) for a FREE online presentation titled “Building Your Child’s Superpower of Stress Resilience” with Dr. Laura Kastner, PhD.
Tonight, Tuesday, May 2, 2023 at 6:30-8pm. (If you can’t make the date/time work, register anyway as all registrants will receive an email with the recording following the event.)
Register via eventbrite: https://tinyurl.com/PNWsuperpower
Order Yearbooks by May 15!
The 2022-2023 Whittier Elementary yearbook is a full-color book of special memories of students and staff. Our goal is that every student receives a yearbook, whether or not a family is able to purchase one. When you order, you will have the option to donate a yearbook for a student or staff member.
Order your copy now through May 15, 2023! The books will be shipped to the school in mid-June. $20 per book https://shop.yearbookmarket.com/whittierelementaryseattle
Help our Office Restock Snacks!
The Whittier front office stocks snacks for students and classrooms is running low. Please help us restock for the rest of the school year. We have an Amazon Wishlist or resources can be dropped off to Ms. Watters directly at the gate in the morning.